(Please note that this page is only for students who spend their first year as a VISP student)
Thank you for your interest in the Master of Arts – Foundation of Advanced Studies (MA-FAS) Program at the Department of Mathematics.
The MA-FAS program helps prepare students for competitive Ph.D. level graduate programs and will enhance their chances for admittance to high-quality graduate schools. This Master’s program option is structured so that students with basic preparation from their undergraduate institutions can complete it in no more than two years. Applicants will have earned an undergraduate degree in Mathematics or a related field with a strong mathematical component.
The deadline to submit your application for Fall admission is February 15th.
The deadline to submit all supporting application materials for Fall admission is March 1st.
The deadline to submit your application for Spring admission is October 15th.
The deadline to submit all supporting application materials for Spring admission is November 1st.
- Start a new application and click “Create an Account” to set up an application ID.
- Select the Mathematics MA Foundations of Advanced Studies degree as the program to which you are applying.
- Unofficial transcript (request through your Student Center).
- Statement/CV/Coursework: Upload a PDF stating “Not required for this application.”
- Whether you are a Wisconsin residence? The answer is NO.
- Letters of Recommendation: Not required. Enter the following:
- Optional documents:
- If you have any documents (such as TOEFL scores) that have changed since your application to the VISP program, do submit them. [Note: You are exempt from showing English proficiency.]
- Qualifying exam letter, only if you have passed.
- Application fee: $81. ($75 application fee plus $6 international document processing fee)
To review the status of your submitted application,sign into MyUW with your netID. Any requests for information or changes in your status will be emailed to you or noted in MyUW.
Change of Level
Once you are admitted by the Graduate School, you will need to submit a Change of Level request through Terra Dotta to update your I20 from VISP program to Masters program.
In Terra Dotta, there will be an item asking you to send the verification request to the admitting unit or the department, please type in the contact person’s name from the Grad Admissions office based on the alpha split
More information about Change of Level is available here .